Not leaving: an act of trust and love, often deciphered by children
Somewhere, far down, there was an itch in his heart, but he made it a point not to scratch it. He was afraid of what might come leaking out.
(Source)
“How about a kiss, Saumensch?” He stood waist-deep in the water for a few moments longer before climbing out and handing her the book. His pants clung to him, and he did not stop walking. In truth, I think he was afraid. Rudy Steiner was scared of the book thief’s kiss. He must have longed for it so much. He must have loved her so incredibly hard. So hard that he would never ask for her lips again and would go to his grave without them.
"She leaned down and looked at his lifeless face and Leisel kissed her best friend, Rudy Steiner, soft and true on his lips. He tasted dusty and sweet. He tasted like regret in the shadows of trees and in the glow of the anarchist's suit collection. She kissed him long and soft, and when she pulled herself away, she touched his mouth with her fingers...She did not say goodbye. She was incapable, and after a few more minutes at his side, she was able to tear herself from the ground. It amazes me what humans can do, even when streams are flowing down their faces and they stagger on..."
(source)
"I carried softly through the broken street...with him I tried a little harder. I watched the contents of his soul for a moment and saw a black-painted boy calling the name Jesse Owens as he ran through an imaginary tape. I saw him hip-deep in some icy water, chasing a book, and I saw a boy lying in bed, imagining how a kiss would taste from his glorious next-door neighbor. He does something to me, that boy. Every time. It's his only detriment. He steps on my heart. He makes me cry."
(source) Gillian Zinser is amazing.
"The consequence of this is that I'm always finding humans at their best and worst. I see their ugly and their beauty, and I wonder how the same thing can be both."
(source)
At first, Liesel could not talk. Perhaps it was the sudden bumpiness of love she felt for him. Or had she always loved him? It's likely. Restricted as she was from speaking, she wanted him to kiss her. She wanted him to drag her hand across and pull her over. It didn't matter where. Her mouth, her neck, her cheek. Her skin was empty for it, waiting.
(source) I just found a blogger who loves the gypsy style and has Greece as their top places to visit! I think I just found my twin haha. Greece along with Italy is some of the places I want to visit most. Greece for, well just look at the houses! They're all white and have blue accents, not to mention the ocean. Italy for their food and they have Venice, a floating city.
You don’t have to be pretty. You don’t owe prettiness to anyone. Not to your boyfriend/spouse/partner, not to your co-workers, especially not to random men on the street. You don’t owe it to your mother, you don’t owe it to your children, you don’t owe it to civilization in general. Prettiness is not a rent you pay for occupying a space marked ‘female’. -Diana Vreeland
The unspecified quotes are from The Book thief by Markus Zusak.
I urge all to read the book! I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for light reading though.
The book filled my heart with so much sadness and the sadness was beautiful because it only took words to make me feel that way. Words. Liesel knew the power of them.
I love Liesel so much. The book didn't glorify her like most books do with protagonists. She was a kid and it just amazes me how mature she was, how loving she was and how she didn't let propaganda wash her innocent mind. It's strange that her stealing is justified, I did not feel it wasn't right. Reading the book it felt like that was her destiny, she was to steal those books. She's completely badass and won me over at the part where she beat up a boy for calling her stupid.
Rudy! The way Death described him is exactly how I feel about him. The sweetest 14 year old boy. I love how he painted himself black and ran as Jesse Owens. I love that he gave bread to the Jews. I love how he jumped into the water to receive the book thief's book. I love that he gave a dying pilot an old tattered teddy bear. I love how he moved Liesel of the street. I hate how he broke my heart in the end. I hate how he never stole a kiss from Liesel. It broke my heart to know he laid awake at night imagining the kiss while Liesel wanted the kiss. I hate how in the end he got a kiss from Liesel but she didn't get one from him. I hate how he died while he hugged his sister in a oblivious sleep.
I love Rosa. I love her. I love how she held the accordion to her chest while Hans was away. I love how she swore like a sailor but you can tell, she loved Hans and Liesel so much, even Max.
Hans, the most beautiful old man to be put in a book. He's amazing. I cried when he rushed over to hand that Jew a bread. It was beautiful and he was whipped. I love that he stayed with Liesel night after night and never complained once when her screamed of nightmares.
Max, how my heart broke as it smiled at his drawings.
I hate that this book makes me so emotional but that's why I love it so much, because it moved me.
The book is beautifully written. There were no cliche. Not even surprises. Death jumped ahead of chapters a few time to tell you what would happen but no matter how prepared you think you are, you heart will be exhausted and gives out a cry when you read the words.
Gah I can't describe this book with enough words. It's just amazing. My favourite book by far. I just hope that someone I know reads it soon so we can discuss the book. I don't want to force anyone to read it because the book is so much better than that. I want those who read it, to read it because they want to, not because they're told. I just hope I gave the book enough credit that others would want to read it.

I live in Italy but my family has always had a passion for Greece, we've been there with our own boat like 5 times, and even tho I visited many other places, Greece stays at the top for me.<3
ReplyDelete