Here are some songs I've been enjoying.
This song is in the trailer for AHS Freak Show and I can't get over how perfect the soundtrack is! Melanie Martinez's songs usually have a nightmare doll house vibe and I never imagined AHS using her song but I'm so glad they did. I had no idea it was her song in the trailer until my friend Josh posted this song on fb praising AHS for picking a bravo song.
I'm a fan of The HG. I'm a fan of Lorde. What's not to like. (Well I didn't really like the beginning of the song but the middle and end more than made up for it.)
After following Troy on youtube for some time now, I still had no idea he could sing so when he announced his EP it blew my mind. The original was perfect and this remix is just as good.
I bought myself a clothing rack! Not that I needed one, but I needed one. A lust for aesthetics often do me no good.
Lucky this rack was relatively cheap. But if you take heed from the saying "I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things" you probably see this action as it is: a lack of self control.
But I will allow myself to grade this rack as A. Yeah the only time people are happy for an A rank. Bah dum tss.
There's a new app I've been trying out and it's called Sketches. It makes your handwriting look a little more fancy then it really it. Time for hipster quotes! Do I sound profound yet?
I work best with the brush. I love the watercolours too but I still need a lot of practice.
Will never stop raving about these! I found them in a Korean grocery store. I believe the red and pink are from the range called Lovely Lips. The red is Natural pink and the pink is Pink Smoothie. The purple is by itself and is called Watering. I could be wrong and they're all under the same range but everything is in Korean so...
They help hydrate my lips and adds a little flush of colour. I started keeping at least one in my school bag.
My favourite buy of September.
I know everyone has mixed feelings about pointed heel. I know my own best friends are not fanw but even Daisy approved of these one once I put them on. I loooove pointy shoes. I think most people hate them because they make your feet look bigger than they really are. I have abnormally small feet so the extra length helps normalize my feet in my opinion. Not that that's the reason why I love pointy shoes, I just think they look sleek and timelessly stylish. However do not be confused, I strongly detest pointy kitten heels. It might just be the fact that I hate kitten heels in general so it's not the power of the point's fault. Like OITNB said "kitten heels are the boiled carrots of footwear" (I hate boiled carrot too so OITNB really speaks to my soul).
A little decorating can only bring joy to a room.
A little decorating can only bring joy to a room.
I outgrew all the roses in my room. Don't get me wrong because I still would be happy to receive them but I think my room needed a renewal. I've developed a love for peonies this year and even changed my tumblr url in tribute to them. However I have yet to come across realistic looking fake peonies. Another flower I've grown fond of are tulips! I snatched these from our bathroom vase as I doubt they will be missed because the vase contain quite a selection of flowers. I stuffed my old roses there and bought the tulips to my room. I found an old gold frame in a cupboard: recycle and reuse. It required a little DIY because the frame held a mirror with a painting of flowers. Since it wasn't a picture pe say, there wasn't an option to open it from the back so I had no way of getting the mirror out. Luckily I found that there was a gap between the mirror and the frame so I cut a piece of paper and slipped it in from the front. I spent a bit of time trying to decide on a picture I wanted to put up. Originally I chose a graphic illustration of yin and yang goldfish but I didn't feel like it suited the set up. I finally settled for the iconic Vogue cover of Erwin Blumenfeld, and the composition ended with a feel of class and simplicity.
Scrolling down good old tumblr I came across a set of art works. Get this, Renaissance sculpture in hipster clothing. Of course the post did not credit the artist or have any caption at all (a million years of face palm) and so I went to google for help. I first hesitated to google "renaissance sculptures in hipster clothes" because you know how hipsters are, they hate being called hipsters. I wasn't sure if the artist was being completely serious or if he intended the novelty of these work to be a humorous perspective on hipsters and marble sculptures (which seemed a lot more plausible I decided). Photographer Léo Calliard's didn't state himself officially on his site that the series is called anything (well that I can see) but I did find that while saving one particular picture, the file was named "hipster in stone".
I'm definitely showing these to my art teacher next time. I find so much joy in making fun of Renaissance artworks, you don't even know. Those snapchats of Renaissance paintings give me life - if you haven't seen any then you are not even living, trust me. Tim and I pretty much spend most art history class time making sassy captions for the artworks we find in Renaissance history books. You know what, for the sake of this post I'll include these Renaissance memes because they're my favourite any month of the year.
I know some of these are religious paintings (yes I know some of these are also not from the Renaissance) but I can't help it. I'm going to hell.
On a more serious note I want to share a three of my favourite HONY stories form his recent trip to Jerusalem. Most of the time I find it hard to control the overwhelming emotions I get from reading stories from over the world. Sometimes it's intense joy and sometimes it's extreme heartbreak. I'm really glad this page exist to capture the ups and downs that can be found it this crazy life time. Not going to lie, I've teared up at HONY posts before. This Jerusalem chapter has been my favourite so far, but don't ask me why because I don't know myself.
'"I met him in a youth movement when I was 15. In the old days things we moved very slow. We took a long time to fall in love mentally. Then one night we decided to go see a movie, and there was a blackout in the theater. And because nobody could see... we held hands. Oh man, that was a very big deal back then! Then a few weeks later, he brought me an orange. Oranges were very rare! There were no oranges anywhere. That's when he got his kiss." (Jerusalem)'
'...I worked with some unorthodox interpreters, including an extremely bright sixteen year old Palestinian boy. He approached everyone quite confidently, until we got to this group, and suddenly he got fidgety and clammed up. "Um, I don't know," he said. "They, um, will probably say no, um, maybe we should ask someone else." (Jerusalem)'
'“When you are a child, and you walk outside, and see that your neighbors house is gone, it puts something in you deep down. All the small children have fear. It’s always with us. Weddings, graduation parties, these are happy events. But something is always missing. We always feel it. Life is very complicated now. There are checkpoints and police harassment. We live like second-class citizens. The Arabs are afraid of the Israelis. The Israelis are afraid of the Arabs. Arab children are afraid of bombs. Israeli children are afraid of rockets. And it’s not like one side can win. The Israelis can never kill all the Palestinians. The Palestinians cannot kill all the Israelis. Only peace can end it. I’d say eighty percent want peace. The rest are crazy religious.” (Jerusalem)'
I was going to end this post here but as it happens, I came across another little treasure too good not to share.
Multimedia producer Eisen Bernard Bernardo produced an art series called Mag + Art where she blends pop culture magazine covers on classical paintings. I thought this series tied in neatly with Léo Calliard's "Hipsters in Stone" series because Eisen used some classical pieces from the Renaissance. You can click here for whole collection.
Angelina Jolie, Esquire July 2007 + The Birth of Venus by Sandro Botticelli
Lana Del Rey, Interview Magazine Russia February 2012 + The Cripple by John Currin
Rihanna, GQ January 2010 + Humeur Nocturne by William-Adolphe Bouguereau
Miley Cyrus, Vanity Fair Italy October 2013 + Portrait of Madame Récamier by Jacques-Louis David
Linda Evangelista, Harper’s Bazaar September 1992 + American Gothic by Grant DeVolson Wood
Leonardo DiCaprio, GQ-Australia March-2012 + Self-portrait by Salvator Rosa
Princess Diana, People Magazine September 1997 + Solitude by Frederick Leighton
Anne Hathaway, W Magazine October 2008 + Hylda, Daughter of Asher and Mrs. Wertheimer by John Singer Sargent
Cara Delevingne, Vogue Australia October 2013 + Tristan and Isolde by John William Waterhouse
(I was just reading this magazine the other day!)
Elle Fanning, New York Magazine February 2013 + The Portrait of Giovanna Tornabuoni by Domenico Ghirlandaio
I hope you found this post entertaining~ Ciao
On a more serious note I want to share a three of my favourite HONY stories form his recent trip to Jerusalem. Most of the time I find it hard to control the overwhelming emotions I get from reading stories from over the world. Sometimes it's intense joy and sometimes it's extreme heartbreak. I'm really glad this page exist to capture the ups and downs that can be found it this crazy life time. Not going to lie, I've teared up at HONY posts before. This Jerusalem chapter has been my favourite so far, but don't ask me why because I don't know myself.
'"I met him in a youth movement when I was 15. In the old days things we moved very slow. We took a long time to fall in love mentally. Then one night we decided to go see a movie, and there was a blackout in the theater. And because nobody could see... we held hands. Oh man, that was a very big deal back then! Then a few weeks later, he brought me an orange. Oranges were very rare! There were no oranges anywhere. That's when he got his kiss." (Jerusalem)'
'...I worked with some unorthodox interpreters, including an extremely bright sixteen year old Palestinian boy. He approached everyone quite confidently, until we got to this group, and suddenly he got fidgety and clammed up. "Um, I don't know," he said. "They, um, will probably say no, um, maybe we should ask someone else." (Jerusalem)'
'“When you are a child, and you walk outside, and see that your neighbors house is gone, it puts something in you deep down. All the small children have fear. It’s always with us. Weddings, graduation parties, these are happy events. But something is always missing. We always feel it. Life is very complicated now. There are checkpoints and police harassment. We live like second-class citizens. The Arabs are afraid of the Israelis. The Israelis are afraid of the Arabs. Arab children are afraid of bombs. Israeli children are afraid of rockets. And it’s not like one side can win. The Israelis can never kill all the Palestinians. The Palestinians cannot kill all the Israelis. Only peace can end it. I’d say eighty percent want peace. The rest are crazy religious.” (Jerusalem)'
I was going to end this post here but as it happens, I came across another little treasure too good not to share.
Multimedia producer Eisen Bernard Bernardo produced an art series called Mag + Art where she blends pop culture magazine covers on classical paintings. I thought this series tied in neatly with Léo Calliard's "Hipsters in Stone" series because Eisen used some classical pieces from the Renaissance. You can click here for whole collection.
Angelina Jolie, Esquire July 2007 + The Birth of Venus by Sandro Botticelli
Lana Del Rey, Interview Magazine Russia February 2012 + The Cripple by John Currin
Rihanna, GQ January 2010 + Humeur Nocturne by William-Adolphe Bouguereau
Miley Cyrus, Vanity Fair Italy October 2013 + Portrait of Madame Récamier by Jacques-Louis David
Linda Evangelista, Harper’s Bazaar September 1992 + American Gothic by Grant DeVolson Wood
Leonardo DiCaprio, GQ-Australia March-2012 + Self-portrait by Salvator Rosa
Princess Diana, People Magazine September 1997 + Solitude by Frederick Leighton
Anne Hathaway, W Magazine October 2008 + Hylda, Daughter of Asher and Mrs. Wertheimer by John Singer Sargent
Cara Delevingne, Vogue Australia October 2013 + Tristan and Isolde by John William Waterhouse
(I was just reading this magazine the other day!)
Elle Fanning, New York Magazine February 2013 + The Portrait of Giovanna Tornabuoni by Domenico Ghirlandaio
I hope you found this post entertaining~ Ciao



















No comments:
Post a Comment
I try to reply to all comments! ♥